ASM/ROAD GUARDIANS ACHIEVES CAPCE ORGANIZATIONAL ACCREDITATION THROUGH CAPCE
WHAT IS CAPCE?
The Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE) maintains standards for the delivery of emergency medical services (EMS) continuing education. It was chartered in 1992 to help students make informed decisions regarding the quality of educational activities.
WHY IS CAPCE IMPORTANT?
CAPCE, by its charter, maintains the standards for the delivery of EMS CE. Those standards include requirements for active medical direction, valid post-tests, quality infrastructure, sound educational design including delivery methodology, marketing, fees, evaluation, student record keeping and data reporting.
- Relevant for the intended audience
- Medically accurate
- Properly referenced
- Original work that is correctly cited
- Grammatically correct and spelling will be accurate
- Not be misleading
WHAT ORGANIZATIONS GET CAPCE CERTIFIED?
Organizations who provide continuing education for EMS providers apply for CAPCE certifications. This proves the quality and validity of the organization and its programs. The institution/organization is required to:
- Demonstrate an ongoing needs assessment for specific EMS educational activities
- Submit a letter of recommendation or approval of its state EMS office or someone in EMS education
- Maintain a current agreement with a physician medical director(s) to provide direction to the EMS and the organizations CAPCE program committee
- Maintain a program committee that reviews and approves all activities offered by the accredited organization and by cosponsoring organizations
HOW DOES CAPCE BENEFIT STUDENTS?
CAPCE exists to help develop continuing education standards for quality education that:
- Requires active medical direction
- Has sound educational design (including delivery methodology)
- Quality infrastructure
- Cites appropriate and relevant references as the basis for the education
Confirming CAPCE certification for courses and course providers is one of the best steps prospective students can take to ensure a quality learning experience. This is true for both EMS students and anyone wishing to partake in a quality educational experience.
HOW CAN I CHECK ON AN INSTITUTION’S CAPCE CERTIFICATION?
CAPCE lists organizations that are accredited. Prestigous national organizations (such as the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, or NREMT) recognize CAPCE-approved courses.
ASM/Road Guardians is proud to have accomplished this level of accreditation and looks forward to providing you with quality educational experiences by our professional instructors.